Often called white sea bass, Corvina is not part of the large bass family, but part of the drum and croaker family. This large diverse family of fish gets their name from the unusual sounds they make – when a drumming muscle hits their air bladder.
Corvina is well known in California where it is caught along the southern coast, and further down the Pacific Coast of Mexico. Most Corvina in the United States is imported fresh from Mexico. The fish grow to almost 80 pounds, however, market size ranges from 10 to 15 pounds.
Available as thick steaks, the large moist flesh is mild and sweet – versatile and lean.
Pacific Coast of Americas.
Large skin-on fillets.
Sweet, mild, distinctive.
Firm, tender, flaky.
4g fat per 4oz. Serving
0g saturated fat
Broil, bake, pan sear.
Corvina with Oregano and Fennel
- 1 bulb fennel cored & sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 lb. Corvina fillet skinned
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Toss onions and fennel with garlic, oregano, and 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Sauté in a non-stick pan until just tender.
- Remove and put aside, cover to keep warm.
- Brush Corvina with remaining oil, season with salt and pepper, then sear in pan for three to four minutes on each side until opaque when tested with a fork.
- Place fillets on serving plate.
- Add fennel and onion back to pan and quicklysauté one minute to reheat.
- Spread fennel mixture around fillets and serve immediately with lemon.
Braised Corvina with Curry Yogurt Sauce
- 1 lb. Corvina filleT skinned
- fresh basil leaves
Make Curry Sauce
Make Curry Sauce
- Sauté ¼ cup chopped onion, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp. minced ginger in 1 tsp. olive oil until tender. Add one tbsp. curry powder, 2 tbsp. tomato paste, 1 tsp. corn starch. Stir until blended. Add one cup of fish or vegetable stock, one tbsp. fresh lime juice, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. soy sauce. Stir until blended. Season with salt and fresh pepper, simmer, and cook for five minutes. Set pan aside and cover.
- In a separate skillet, pan-sear Corvina as in the above recipe.
- Set aside on a serving plate.
- Bring curry sauce to a simmer again and whisk in1 cup plain yogurt.
- Spoon over fish and serve with steamedvegetables and rice.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil leaves.