European sailors were fishing for cod in the North Atlantic long before the first settlements in the United States. Cod’s firm white flesh is ideal for salting, and salt cod became a staple in both diet and trade for the new colonies of America. Today the family of cod fish are some of the most important and popular fish in the world.
Haddock, Pollock, Hake and Whiting are all part of the cod’s extended family. The most important of these is the Atlantic Cod, on which New England’s colonial fishing ports were based. Caught from Norway, Iceland, Canada and New England, the cod can grow to over 25 pounds, but most market fish are in the 8 to 10 pound range. Sold mostly as fresh skinless fillets, this mild fish can be used in a variety of ways, from pan sautéing to baking. A smoked version called Finnan Haddie is an superb dish, poached in milk. Salt cod, mentioned before, is still an important tradition in Southern European cultures.
Worldwide, Atlantic and Pacific.
Firm, large flakes.
1.6 g fat per 8 oz
.2 g saturated fat
40 g protein
99 mg cholesterol
124 mg sodium
Bake, fry, poach.
Spicy Cod Cakes
- 1 lb Cod Fillets Chopped
- 1/4 cup Soft Bread Crumbs
- 2 Eggs Lightly Beaten
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Tobasco Sauce To Taste
- 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
- 1/4 cup Chopped Bell Pepper
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Salt & Pepper
- Sauté chopped onion and bell pepper in butter until soft.
- Mix all ingredients and form 4 cod cakes.
- Brush pan with vegetable oil and sauté cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with our homemade tartar sauce.
Baked Cod with Piquant Vegetables
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Medium Onion Finley Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Finley Chopped
- 1 Large Carrott Finley Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Parsley Minced
- 3/4 tsp Oregano
- 3/4 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Bay Leaf
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Can Plum Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Capers
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs Cod Fillets
- Sauté the first three ingredients until soft.
- Add the next six (carrot to the chicken broth) and simmer, covered until the carrot is tender.
- Add tomatoes, capers, and vinegar, and cook uncovered until reduced, about 8 minutes.
- Season cod fillets with salt and pepper.
- Place in a baking pan and spoon sauce over the fish.
- Bake in 400 Fahrenheit oven for 15 to 25 minutes until fish flakes when tested.
- Serve immediately.