Chilean Sea Bass
Not a bass but the Patagonian Toothfish, what we call Chilean Sea Bass is an exquisite fish with black-white speckled skin and a beautiful soft white flesh. Caught primarily off Chile and the African coast, these fish can grow to over 30 pounds. Fish between ten and twenty pounds are brought to market and are normally sold in steak form or fillets. Rarely seen even ten years ago, this fish has gained in popularity due to the unique flavor and forgiving texture that allows even the least attentive cook to turn out a remarkable meal.
Rich in flavor, moist, and “buttery”, this fish is excellent grilled. It has a large flake and takes longer to cook than most fish. Fully cooked, the flakes are apparent. Juicy and fully flavored, this fish needs little more than salt and pepper. Far surpassing local delicacies, this foreign arrival is a treat not to be missed
Wild harvest: Africa and South America.
Steak or fillets.
Firm large flakes.
2.3 g fat per 4 oz
.5 g saturated fat
21 g protein
47 mg cholesterol
77 mg sodium
One of the best grilling fish.
No marinades necessary.
Broil, bake or poach.
Potato Crusted Chilean Sea Bass with Chile Sauce
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs Chilean Sea Bass 4pcs/No Skin
- 2 Medium Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chopped Chives
- 1/2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil (Sauce)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Onion (Sauce)
- 1/4 cup Chopped Celery (Sauce)
- 3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar (Sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups Tomato Juice (Sauce)
- 1 Small Hot Red Pepper, Diced *Based on Your Taste* (Sauce)
- Peel and grate potatoes (shoe-string).
- Mix with chives and butter, season with salt and pepper.
- Spread an even layer of potatoes on top of each fillet.
- Place in refrigerator to chill and firm.
- Sauté onions and celery in oil until tender.
- Add vinegar and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato juice and red pepper, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree in blender.
- Season W/ Salt
- Set Aside
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit
- On the stove top heat 1- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in an oven-proof skillet.
- Place fish potato side down and cook undisturbed for 8 to 10 minutes until potatoes are crispy.
- Carefully turn over and finish cooking in the oven for 5-6 minutes until the fish is opaque and flakes when tested.
- Pour ¼ cup of sauce on individual plates, top with fish, and serve.
Grilled Chilean Sea Bass
- Olive Oil
- Chilean Sea Bass Allow 1/3 to 1/2 lb. per person.
- Brush fish with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Seriously. That's It.