There is only one species of swordfish, but this majestic powerful swimmer roams the world’s tropical and temperate oceans. A migratory animal, it is caught in the Northern Seas (New England and California) in the summer and fall, and the Southern Seas ( Mexico and Florida) in the winter. Swordfish is also imported from Hawaii and Japan, as well as Latin America.
The flesh color and quality vary greatly from Pacific to Atlantic swordfish, from pink to orange to beige, but it all turns the same light color when cooked. Quality depends on how the fish was caught and handled. Like tuna, the fish must be properly treated, cleaned, bled and iced immediately. American swordfish, especially from the Pacific, tends to be larger, sweeter and moister. Most harvested fish range from 100 to 300 pounds. Public awareness of undersize fishing has brought change to the industry to help insure the health of the species for future generations.
Wild harvest, worldwide
Loins, Boneless steaks
1.8 g saturated fat
45 g protein
90 g mg cholesterol
204 mg sodium
Broil, grill, pan sauté
Grilled Swordfish with Mango Bean Salsa
- 4 swordfish steaks 6-8 oz. each
- 1 small fully ripe mango peeled & diced
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans (if canned, rinse well and drain)
- 1 small red bell pepper diced & blanched
- 1/2 bunch scallions green parts, chopped
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lime zest
- 1 very small jalapeno pepper diced
- Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors and chill. (Can be made a day in advance)
- Brush fish with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill 2-3 minutes each side, taking care not to overcook.
- Serve with chilled salsa.
- Serves four.
Swordfish, Red Potato and Spinach Salad
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 lbs red potatoes cut in 1 inch pieces, boiled until tender, drained
- 1/2 lbs grilled swordfish cubed
- 1 cup shredded fresh spinach
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- In a small bowl blend the sour cream, vinegar, garlic.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with other ingredients and serve at room tempuratire for best flavor.
- Serves two.