Raw or cooked, oysters are always a delectable treat! Oysters come in all different sizes and shapes, depending on their location. East Coast oysters have a more briny taste to them; West Coast oysters have more of a creamy finish to them. The wedges on their shells are made from the wave patterns and sand they are caught or grown.
East & West Coasts.
Whole in shell.
Distinctive, salty, briny, creamy
1.2 g fat per med. size oyster
.3 g saturated fat
4.7 g protein
25 mg cholesterol
53 mg sodium
Raw. Fried. Grilled.
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk or light cream
- flour for dredging
- salt & pepper to taste
- 24 pcs shucked oysters drained & patted dry
- bread crumb or other crumbs for dredging
- Beat the eggs lightly with milk.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil from 350 ℉ to 375 ℉. (If your fryer doesn't have a thermostat or you don't have a frying thermometer, drop a small piece of bread in the oil; It should sink, then rise to the top and begin bubbling away.)
- Dredge the oysters, one by one, and the flower, then dip in the eggs, then roll in the bread crumbs.
- Let them stand on wax paper until you are ready to start frying(you can refrigerate them for a few hours if you like).
- Friday few at a time, do not crowd, for no more than two minutes.
- Serve immediately, with lemon wedges, salsa fresca, hot sauce, or Worcestershire sauce.
- 24-48 pcs fresh oysters in shell
- 2-4 lemons quartered
- Start a charcoal or wood fire, or preheat a gas grill; the fire should be moderately high.
- Place the oyster's round side down on the grill, two to four inches from the heat source.
- Grill until they begin to open, 5 minutes or so(it will depend on their size).
- As they open, remove them from the grill and move unopen ones to the hotter part of the grill.
- Shucking will be easy (just remember that the shells are hot); try tokeep as much liquid as possible in the shell.
- If you like oysters fully cooked, return them to the grill andcook them until their edges curl (they may have done so already).
- Serve with lemon wedges.