Fish called sole, flounder, turbot, dab, and halibut all belong to the same unique family of flatfish. These fish all have oval-shaped bodies, dark on top, light on the bottom and odd-looking eyes on the same (top) side of their heads. They are bottom dwellers, propelling themselves with a wave-like motion along the sea’s sandy bottom. With the exception of halibut, and some large flounders and turbots, most are small, in the 1 to 3 pound range. The different species vary greatly in quality, taste, and texture.
Sole and flounder are harvested on both the East and West Coast and the Gulf of Mexico. Along the East Coast, Summer flounder is the most abundant and can weigh up to 20 pounds. Yellowtail Flounder is a delicate, thinner fillet with a mild flavor. All are very lean and easily prepared; simply broiled or elegantly stuffed with crabmeat.
East, West Coasts
Whole. Skinless Fillets
2.7 g fat per 8 oz of meat
.6 g saturated fat
110 mg cholesterol
184 mg sodium
Broil, bake, stuff.
Stuffed Flounder W/ Crabmeat
- 4 6oz. Flounder Fillets
- 1 cup Cooked Crab Meat
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Minced Bell Peppers
- 1/4 cup Minced Onions
- 4 tbsp Cream
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Parsley Minced
- Sauté bell pepper and onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Do not brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in crab meat, bread crumb, cream, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of mix onto one open fillet and roll to close with ends under.
- Place on foiled baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining mixture and fillets.
- Dot with additional butter and sprinkle with paprika and fresh parsley.
- Bake in 375 oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Oven Browned Flounder Fillets
- 3/4 - 1 lb. Flounder Fillets
- 3 tbsp Melted Butter
- 3/4 cup Soft Fresh Bread Crumbs Crumb Mixture
- 1 tbsp Fresh Grated Romano or Parmesan Cheese Crumb Mixture
- 1/4 tsp Thyme Crumb Mixture
- 1/2 tsb Paprika Crumb Mixture
- Add All Crumb Mixture ingredients together.
- Dip fillets in melted butter.
- Dredge fillets in crumb mixture.
- Place on foil lined baking pan.
- Baked in 425 oven until nicely browned, 10 -15minutes.