If black cod were more readily available, we’d eat it all the time. Its flesh is supremely oily, with a deep, rich flavor and a meaty texture. Like salmon and swordfish, it is wonderfully juicy when cooked properly, and responds well to any cooking method.
But most black cod is frozen at sea for shipment to Japan or smoking for domestic use; smoked sable has been sold in Jewish delis since the turn of the century. That which remains may be sold fresh or frozen, usually as rather large (2-pound) fillets and somewhat smaller steaks. It freezes well, surprising given its high oil content. Another name for black cod is sablefish; it is called black cod because it resembles cod with black skin, although the two are not related.
2.3g fat per 4oz. Serving
.4g saturated fat
Marinated and Grilled Black Cod
- 2 tbsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Cracked Fresh Coriander Seeds
- 2 tbsp Garlic Minced
- 1 tsp Coarse Salt
- 1 2LB Black Cod Fillet Skin On
- Lemon Wedges
- Mix together the first four ingredients and smear on the flesh side of the fish.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight, pouring off any accumulated liquid from time to time.
- When ready to cook, start a charcoal fire or preheat a barbeque or broiler.
- Wipeoff the marinade but do not rinse off the fish.
- To grill, use a fish basket if you have one, or rub the fish with peanut or olive oil.
- Grill 4-6 inches from the heat source, turning once or twice and cooking until the fish has lightly browned and begins to flake
Poached Black Cod Salad with Lemon-Oregano Vinaigrette
- 1 lb Black Cod Fillet Skin Off
- 8 Cups Fish Stock
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Large Ripe Tomatoes Cut into Chunks
- 8 Cups Mixed Greens Washed & Dried
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Onion Minced
- 1 tbsp Oregano Chopped
- 1 tnsp Parsley Chopped
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper chopped herbs and onion.
- Put the fish in a large skillet with the stock.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then turn it off.
- Let the fish rest for 20 minutes; it will be cooked.
- Drain the liquid and save for another use, pat the fish dry.
- Seasonwith salt and pepper, then flake it into a bowl.
- Tosswith the tomatoes, greens and vinaigrette.