With a succulent texture and a distinctive flavor somewhere between salmon and trout, this beautiful silver fish with pink speckles is rapidly gaining a place in the culinary world.
Like salmon, Arctic Char is anadromous, spending part of its life in salt water, returning to fresh water to spawn. Native to Canada and Iceland, in the wild it can grow to 25 pounds. Thanks to aquaculture, an abundance of farmed raised Arctic Char from both these northern provinces is now readily available year round.
Farm Raised: Canada, Iceland.
Whole Fish 2 to 6 lbs.
Mild salmon taste, delicate like trout.
1.7 g saturated fat.
1 g omega 3
21.8 g protein
27 mg cholesterol
80 mg sodium
Whole fish can be poached, baked, or grilled.
Fillets can be broiled or baked.
Keep sauces and spices to a minimum, not to mask the true flavor of the fish.
Classic Whole Poached Fish
- Fish Poacher If you do not have a fish poacher you can improvise by using a roasting pan deep enough to allow the fish to lie flat and to be covered completely with the poaching liquid.
- Cheesecloth Cheesecloth can be used to wrap the fish and help lower and raise the fish from the liquid.
- seasoning (your choice) green onion, fresh dill, whole peppercorns, whole allspice, bayleaf, salt, lemon slices, white wine.
- white wine (optional)
- Place pan on stove top.
- Wrap fish in cheesecloth and place in pan.
- Add enough water (and some white wine if you wish) to cover fish completely.
- Sprinkle some of the above spices and herbs into the poaching liquid.
- On medium to high heat, bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat, cover and gently simmer 8 to 10 minutes for each inch of thickness of fish.
- Lift fish out of pan and place on platter, unwrapping the cheesecloth.
- Peel off skin and remove fins if desired.
- To serve, cut to bone and slide spatula to lift off serving.
- Serve hot or cold with horseradish sauce, or mustard dill. Capers optional.
Quick Seared Fillets
- 2 tsp olive oil or butter
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- On stove top, melt oil or butter (or combination of both) in a non-stick skillet on medium to high heat.
- Season fillets with salt and pepper.
- Place fillets in pan and cook on one side for 4 minutes.
- Gently turn over and cook 1 minute more.
- Serve immediately.